Asbestos used to be a very popular and sought-after building material before the 1980s.
However, it was found that asbestos had detrimental and life-threatening effects on human health. This resulted in asbestos first losing popularity and ultimately being banned globally. What about existing installations that contains asbestos?
Today, there are still many structures in and around South Africa that contain asbestos. Asbestos removal companies such as Asbestos Removal and Roofing providing dedicated services towards the safe removal and disposing of asbestos.
How to Hire the Best Asbestos Removal Company in Cape Town
1. Visit the website of Asbestos Removal and Roofing
The official website for Asbestos Removal and Roofing can be found here. On this website, you will find comprehensive information pertaining to asbestos and the removal process.
Asbestos Removal and Roofing is a proudly South African company which is based in Cape Town, Western Cape. They provide customers with dedicated services towards the identification, sampling (if necessary) safe removal, and disposal of asbestos.
2. View the Services
Asbestos Removal and Roofing, as the name suggests, offers a variety of services dedicated towards the following:
- Identification of asbestos across all industries in South Africa.
- Sampling of asbestos and subsequent testing thereof to determine the type of asbestos so that it can be handled effectively.
- Safe removal of and disposal of asbestos at the official hazardous material waste disposal site.
- Encapsulation of asbestos where it is deemed possible.
- Roofing and re-roofing of commercial properties as well as private residences where asbestos has been identified and removed.
- Removal of asbestos roof sheets or tiles can take place simultaneously to re-roofing. This will ensure minimum time with an open roof.
3. Verify Licensing
Before hiring specialised services such as those that deal with the removal of asbestos, it is crucial to verify that the company has the relevant endorsement, licensing, and certification. Asbestos Removal and Roofing is registered with the National Department of Labour in South Africa as an Asbestos Contractor with certificate number OHH/RAC2019/CI-98.
This certificate can be viewed on the official website for verification.
4. Request a Quote
To obtain a quote, visit the official website and select the “Request a Quote” banner. This will redirect to a new page that provides the contact information for Asbestos Removal and Roofing in Cape Town.
There is also a contact form that can be completed by providing your name, telephone number, email, area, and by detailing your project in the section provided. Once completed, select “send your enquiry” and a representative will contact you promptly.
Alternatively contact the number on the website or send an email to [email protected]
5. Asbestos Removal Process
Once you have decided to make use of the service of Asbestos Removal and Roofing, the following will happen:
- The Approved Asbestos Inspection Authority (AAIA) will visit the site and compile a work plan.
- The work plan will be submitted to the Department of Labour for approval before work can commence (the approval process can take up to ten working days). Once the work plan is approved, asbestos removal can commence.
- “Asbestos Warning” signage will be displayed on the site as required by law.
- Trained asbestos removal workers will start removing the asbestos and dispose of it according to health and safety regulations. Everyone who enters the site has to wear protective face masks and workers have to wear the appropriate protective clothing (PPE), to safeguard them from inhaling or ingesting hazardous asbestos fibres.
- Damaged, cracked and crumbling asbestos-containing products must be adequately wetted and wrapped in heavy duty plastic and disposed in the provided containers.
- Once all asbestos has been removed, it will be transported to a prescribed asbestos disposal site. There are very strict rules for transportation of asbestos. It can only be transported by registered asbestos contractors such as Asbestos Removal and Roofing. The disposal sites will also only accept asbestos from registered asbestos removal companies.
- Once asbestos removal is completed, all premises and surfaces will be decontaminated.
- The AAIA will conduct air monitoring tests to ensure that the building is safe to be occupied again, and will issue an “Asbestos Clearance Report”.